Model: C03 Spherical Four-bar Linkage.
This is a nonplanar mechanism. Imagine the four bar linkage on the surface of a sphere with all the rotary axes intersecting at the center of the sphere. In this model, (similar to C1), the linkage can be demounted and each of the four links can be fixed using the pedestal H2. In this way Reuleaux wanted the instructor to demonstrate four inversions of the linkage. The making of the four circular shaped links is a remarkable feat of 19th century machining. Reuleaux called this linkage a 'conic quadric crank chain'. He describes in his book Kinematics of Machinery, 24 variations of conic crank chains.
Francis Moon 2001-00-00
- Reuleaux, Kennedy : Kinematics of Machinery (p. 327, Art. 75., 1876)
- Henderson, Taimina : Experiencing Geometry (ch. 21, 2005)
- CAD Model : Reuleaux C.03 Spherical Four-Bar Linkage CAD Model
- Movie : Reuleaux C.03 Spherical Four-Bar Linkage CAD Movie
- Movie : Reuleaux c3 swf
- Still Image : Reuleaux C.03 Spherical Four-Bar Linkage CAD Picture
- Tutorials and Descriptions : Four Different Positions (Inversions) of Model C01
- Tutorials and Descriptions : Mathematics of Four Bar Linkages -- Planar and Spherical